Sunday, June 30, 2013

Kitchen Table Makeover

Painted Kitchen Table and Window Seat

We've have had this dinette set for almost 14 years and it was starting to look its age. The finish was coming off and the veneer had some damage in a couple small places. This little table fits perfectly with the window seat in my breakfast nook, so getting rid of it was not an option. 

Table and Chairs
The table top got stripped(Citristrip Stripping Gel) and damaged areas were repaired with some wood glue and stainable wood filler.  We stained Dark Walnut. The bottom part of the table to be painted was sanded and primed. We painted off-white, distressed with some sandpaper and then applied Valspar Translucent Color Glaze. After brushing on glaze, with a damp cloth, we lightly rubbed off excess until desired color was achieved. When everything is thoroughly dried, apply polyurethane. The top especially needs a lot, I think we did about 4 coats.

Like with the table, for the chairs we stripped the seat because we re-stained it. The back and legs were sanded, primed, painted, sanded again, and glazed. Polyurethane the whole thing, extra coats on the seat.

DIY kitchen table makeover by Over The Apple Tree


DIY kitchen table makeover by Over The Apple Tree

DIY kitchen table makeover by Over The Apple Tree

DIY painted kitchen table by Over The Apple Tree




Window Seat
In addition to the jacked up table, the window seat also needed some help. It was stained the same generic oak finish that our cabinets used to have and it definitely would have looked horrible next to the table after we refinished that. I wanted to do something different and interesting, so...Pinterest saves the day again! After I saw this post from Domestic Imperfection, I knew what to do with my window seat.

DIY Window seat makeover by Over The Apple Tree

The window seat got stripped and sanded. I then stenciled on a design with white paint. I sanded again to give a more distressed look then re-stained(Special Walnut) and applied 3 coats polyurethane.

DIY window seat makeover, stenciling by Over The Apple Tree

DIY Painted kitchen table by Over The Apple Tree

Be sure to also check out our Custom Built Desk and Flag End Table

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
Project Gallery

I will be sharing with these great blogs!

Follow me here:

9 comments:

  1. when doing the chairs, did it make more sense to stain the seat and then paint the spindles or the other way around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie, thanks for visiting! I stripped the seat first then primed and painted the spindles. Since the spindles are harder to do without making a mess, I did those first. That way, if I happened to slop any of the paint or primer onto the seat I could always use a piece of sand paper to get it off in if I didn't wipe it in time before it dried. I waited until spindles were completely dry, then taped around the bottoms before I stained the seat. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a great job. I have a table & chairs just like these and I have been itching to get more modern pieces but I have loved this table for so long, I was thinking of redoing them to make 'em look upto date.. How long did it take to do the job? I'm a complete novice at DIY!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My husband and I worked on it together. It took a couple weekends.

      Delete
  3. beautiful! what color of valspar translucent color glaze did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mocha but I'm not sure if they make that glaze anymore. You might have to try another brand.

      Delete
  4. Love the chairs and table😀. I am just starting the process started my table doing chairs next. I am using a gel stain on chairs. I have experimented with one chair.. how did you keep the stain from looking messy around the spindles? Thanks Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taped the spindles to protect it. If any stain got on there I was able to cover it when I painted spindles white. To get a clean line in the tight spaces I used a small craft brush.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...