Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Crochet Scarf- Color Pooling

Crochet trends come and go. Some of them I try, some I don't. This planned color pooling was too cool for me to pass up! If you follow any crochet groups on social media, you would have seen multiple projects using this method by now.  If this is your first time, prepare to be amazed at what you can do with variegated yarn!

Crochet Scarf- Color Pooling by Over The Apple Tree



First off, I'm not an expert with this method. This is the first and only project I've done with color pooling. Different yarns will give different results. Everything depends on the width of your project, the length of the repeating pattern of the yarn, your stitch count and your personal tension. What worked perfectly for me, may have to be adjusted to work for you.

So basically what happens is, most variegated yarn has multiple colors that repeat regularly. If you plan it just right, you can get the colors to "pool" together forming a color pattern instead of coming out random. An interesting website you can experiment with is called Planned Pooling. I'd actually seen this kind of scarf before it recently hit Facebook. Amy Solovay has a pattern here that I had come across on Pinterest a while back that you should check out.

Crochet Scarf- Color Pooling by Over The Apple Tree

Here's how I made my scarf:
Yarn- Red Heart Super Saver Variegated, Antique
Hook- 5.5(I)
Stitch- Moss/Granite stitch from Moogly, they even have a video.
Beginning Chain- 22

I first tried a beginning chain of 24. It was close, but not quite right. I pulled it out and went down to a beginning chain of 22. Yay, 22 was my magic number! Remember to keep your tension consistent or it could skew your color pattern. This scarf is one whole skein of Red Heart yarn and it is 4.5 inches wide. I love how it has a cool argyle pattern, I'm definitely keeping this one for myself!

*UPDATE- I recently made this scarf again with the same color yarn. It wasn't working out the same as my first scarf. I realized the Red Heart variegated yarn has dye lots and it makes a difference! The colors were noticeably different as were the length of the different color sections. I did end up having to change the number of my beginning chain to get it to work.

Crochet Scarf- Color Pooling by Over The Apple TreeCrochet Scarf- Color Pooling by Over The Apple Tree


Crochet Scarf- Color Pooling by Over The Apple Tree

Love crochet? See more of my projects here


I will be sharing with these great blogs!





Follow me here:

20 comments:

  1. Laura, this is such a pretty scarf! And, the length is perfect! Thanks for sharing. Feel free to share this at my Make it Pretty party which is currently life. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2016/09/make-pretty-monday-week-193.html Happy day to you! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful scarf! Love it!
    Have a fabulous day!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! How many rows did you have to try before you could tell if it was working out right or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I did about 6-8 inches before I decided.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing, you are one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's bash! http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2016/10/make-pretty-monday-week-194.html Have a lovely Fall week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great Kathryn, thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for joining us at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Shared.l I've how your scarf turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining us at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Shared.l I've how your scarf turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This shawl is amazing. I know most is due to the wool, but only to make it turn out this way makes it look like magic. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura, I love this gorgeous scarf you made. I want to make one too but now I need to learn how to crochet the moss stitch.
    Thanks for sharing at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    Enjoy the week.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This scarf is awesome!! I'll have to try color pooling on one of my upcoming crochet projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the lovely pattern! I've been wanting to try color pooling and yours is the easiest, plain, simple pattern to follow! Greatly appreciated and just in time for Christmas Gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does it matter what color you start on? Does it have to be in a specific spot of that color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, this is the only scarf I've done like this so I couldn't say for sure. I didn't plan anything out, I just grabbed the yarn on my new skein and started. From what I've seen from other people, I don't think it matters.

      Delete
  14. Hi, Laura. How many skein did you use for that scarf? I’m planning to try the pooling.
    Thx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...