Thursday, November 19, 2015

V-Stitch Winter Beanie

I have been searching for this pattern for at least a year! After seeing a photo of a certain grey and black hat online, I set out to find a similar pattern. If there's one out there already, I could not find it and neither could anyone else as far as I can tell.

V-stitch Winter Beanie, free pattern, Over The Apple Tree

You may recognize this grey and black beanie from Pinterest. It's been linked to a crochet website saying there's a free pattern. The hat is not on that website, it's actually for sale at Nirvanna Designs as a finished product. The Nirvanna Designs products are beautiful and their company has a great story. If you can't crochet this yourself, or you want to check out some beautiful knit and crochet pieces, visit their website. Even though their products look to be beautiful and quality items, I can't quite bring myself to buy something that I could make myself.

Do you like this hat from Nirvanna Designs? Check out my free pattern inspired by this popular hat. Over The Apple Tree

There are a billion V-stitch hat patterns available but none of them had the same look. There was a blizzard here in Colorado this week, so I sat myself down on our snow day and decided I was going to figure this out once and for all. I think I've gotten pretty close! My hat is worked with a no-space double crochet V-stitch. Instead of the regular V-stitch where you would work (dc,ch1,dc) in the same stitch, this is just 2 dc's in the same stitch. Easy and less lacy look. You could even add a fleece lining to make it warmer!

Here's how I made my hat...
-Vanna's choice yarn(worsted weight) top of hat Grey Marble, bottom and flower Linen
-Hook 5mm
-Hat sized for an adult woman. You could add or remove rows to make it longer or shorter. If you want a smaller size for a child, you can do less increase rows.

V-stitch= 2 dc's in same space. V's are worked in the space between dc's, not the tops of the stitches
**Join at end of each row= join with sl st to 3rd ch, sl st into space before 1st dc from previous row

Click on photos to see full size

1. Magic Ring, ch 2, 9 dc's in ring. Join with sl st in space between chain and 1st dc
* in the photo I do 10 dc's in the ring. I've changed the pattern to 9 dc's so now there won't be an extra space. The last V of row 2 will be worked in the space between the chain and last dc of first row.

V-stitch Winter Beanie, free pattern, Over The Apple Tree

2. Ch 3, Dc in same space as join(this forms the first V), 2 dc's(V-stitch) in each space between dc's from 1st row. Join(see** above) (10 V's)


V-stitch Winter Beanie, free pattern, Over The Apple Tree

V-stitch Winter Beanie, free pattern, Over The Apple Tree

V-stitch Winter Beanie, free pattern, Over The Apple Tree

3. Ch 3. Dc in same space(1st V) Make the next V-stitch in the center of the next V from previous row, V-stitch in the space before the next V from previous row, *(V-stitch in the next 2 V's from previous row, V-stitch in space before the next V from previous row) Repeat from * to end of row. Join. (15 V's)


V-stitch Winter Beanie, free pattern, Over The Apple Tree

V-stitch Winter Beanie, free pattern, Over The Apple Tree

4. Ch 3. Dc in same space(1st V) Make the next 2 V's in the center of the next 2 V's from previous row, V-stitch in the space before the next V from previous row, *(V-stitch in the next 3 V's from previous row, V-stitch in space before the next V from previous row) Repeat from * to end of row. Join. (20 V's)

5. Ch 3. Dc in same space(1st V) Make the next 3 V's in the center of the next 3 V's from previous row, V-stitch in the space before the next V from previous row, *(V-stitch in the next 4 V's from previous row, V-stitch in space before the next V from previous row) Repeat from * to end of row. Join. (25 V's)

6. Ch 3. Dc in same space(1st V) Make the next 4 V's in the center of the next 4 V's from previous row, V-stitch in the space before the next V from previous row, *(V-stitch in the next 5 V's from previous row, V-stitch in space before the next V from previous row) Repeat from * to end of row. Join. (30 V's) This is the end of the increase rows

7-13. Ch 3, dc in same space, V-stitch in each V from previous row. (30V's)

Change color and join

14-16. Work V's same as row 7

17. Ch 1, Sc across top of V's. Make sure they are not too tight

18. Crab stitch around. Crab stitch is a sc worked in the reverse direction. Instead of crocheting right to left, you go to the right. Here's a video tutorial I found if you need help.

V-stitch Winter Beanie, free pattern, Over The Apple Tree

If you look at the website of the original hat, the purple hat has a sc row(row 17) but the other colors go straight to the crab stitch in row 18. It's up to you how you want to finish your hat.

Flower
I'm not ambitious enough to come up with my own pattern for a flower. I used the Autumn Berry Flower pattern from Jenny Dickens and added a jeweled button.

If my hat doesn't look exactly like the original, it's because I made it from looking at a photo. I don't have the actual black and grey hat in my possession. The original hat for sale also says it is lined with fleece, mine is not. This is why you can see the open space between the stitches of my hat.

Favorite this pattern on Ravelry


If you make this hat to sell, please be courteous and give credit to me as the designer with a link back to this blog post. Do not copy and post this pattern or claim it as your own. Do not try to sell this pattern. Do not re-publish photos as your own.

Thinking about opening an Etsy shop?
Use this link and earn 40 free listings!

V-stitch Winter Beanie, free pattern, Over The Apple Tree

V-stitch Winter Beanie, free pattern, Over The Apple Tree

V-stitch Winter Beanie, free pattern, Over The Apple Tree


Want to check out more of my crochet projects?

Have you ever wanted to add a rustic wood button to your crochet or knit hats? You can make your own! See my tutorial here.
DIY Wood Buttons, Over The Apple Tree


I will be sharing with these great blogs!

Thinking about opening an Etsy shop?
Use this link and earn 40 free listings!







Follow me here:

76 comments:

  1. I love your pretty hats you made Laura! I'm pinning these, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the pattern, I made the hat for a gift for my sister, it is wonderful. She loved it!

      Rebecca

      Delete
  2. Oh my! This is very lovely, Laura! It's going to be the sweetest present for a baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful hat!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Laura! This will be perfect for the hats I put a sparkly snowflake with Frozen buttons on for winter gifts! It just has a more interesting look than my usual double crochet beanies. -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful Laura! I did crochet when I was a kid, I'm not sure I remember anything, but this looks so beautiful I'd love to give it a try again! Thanks for sharing at Share it Link Party this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful pattern and your hats are so lovely. Pinning to share with my daughter. Thank you for sharing your talents with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday!
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty colors! Love the jeweled button! Thanks for linking up to Merry Monday! Sharing on our MM Pinterest board! Have a great week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute hat! I made one using V-stitch a few years ago too. I think it's such a versatile stitch that can be used for mane crochet projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Laura!! This hat is so gorgeous!! I can't wait to finish it! I was wondering about rows 7-13. Do I join and chain 3 at the end of each row or do I just continue in rounds? Thanks so much! You are super talented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I love the color choice!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this and will be making one for my daughter - thank you for sharing on Pin worthy Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty little hat! The flower really puts a nice final touch on the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful hat!!! I Love the colors and the flower and that beautiful button! Gorgeous!!! Thank for sharing at Submarine Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very nice. Thank you! + Thank you for linking it up with us at SHARE IT 38 at FineCraftGuild.com A new party will open tomorrow afternoon so hope you’ll be back with us again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful! You have such a talent, I have tried and it wasn't pretty. haha Thanks for stopping at Your Inspired Design!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you know if there is a video?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a beautiful job!!! I have been looking all over the Internet for the black and grey hat pattern!!! THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern! I want to try and make one for myself. Thank you again...
    xo Nana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for quick reply......I think I have it now. I read the instructions again "carefully" and I get it!!! Yipee. Thank you again for sharing this wonderful pattern with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Does anyone know the gauge for this hat? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm really bad about checking my gauge for projects, didn't even think to add it to the pattern. Here's what I get...2 inches=6 stitches, 2 inches=4 rows

      Delete
  21. Question for you on the SC is it done in every stitch or just in the vstitch

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have seen the original hat you mentioned, too, and was disappointed I couldn't find the pattern. Thanks so much for sharing your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE this hat! Thank you for sharing - do you ever do videos to teach how to crotchet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jillian. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Sorry no, I do not make videos.

      Delete
  24. I have tried to figure out this pattern and I cannot figure out round 3, I have precounted and I cannot figure on the 15 v stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. The third row is pictured. If you click on it, it will open larger so you can see the V placement up close. Remember that the chain and first dc count as the first V.

      Delete
    2. I'm also having a horrible time understanding row 3. I either get to many or not enough. I don't know what I'm doing wrong

      Delete
    3. Without seeing it's hard to help. You are supposed to work your V's between the dc's of the previous row and not the tops of the stitches like you would normally do. Could that be the problem?

      Delete
    4. I am putting the stitches in the spaces. I'm not sure why I'm having such issues understanding this usually I pick up patterns rather quickly.

      Delete
    5. I don't know what I was doing wrong or of my migraine was affecting the way I was reading the pattern that bad. But it's working out now 😂

      Delete
  25. This is absolutely beautiful! I like it much better than the ETSY one :) Theirs are very nice, but there's just something about your whole design that makes it extra gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Made this last night with different colors and a bow. Turned out great. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm following this pattern word for word and once I get to row 3 and 4 it all goes wrong. My stitches are not matching the pattern, don't know how many times I have started at the beginning. I'm totally gutted I really wanted to make this beautiful hat.

    ReplyDelete
  28. When you changed to 9 DC in the magic ring do you still have 10 v's at the end of the 2nd round and so forth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and the ch and first dc count as the first v

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I just finished it seems a little tight. I only sc in the v stitches that may be what is wrong I'm going to go back and sc in each stitch and see if that helps. I love this hat I used your same colors and am making it for a cancer patient.

      Delete
  29. I just finished row 13 and it just seems to be way too big. I my crochet too loosly. Can a smaller hook fix this? Kinda new to the crochet world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's too big all around, yes maybe you crochet looser than me and a smaller hook would help in that case.

      Delete
  30. I had looked at that other hat from Pinterest. Thank you for coming up with a design for a similar hat. I put yours in my Favorites in Ravelry. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I cannot get this pattern. I tried about twelve times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that. Lots of people that have had trouble with it have written back later that it finally clicked. I might have to think about making a video...

      Delete
  32. Great pattern! I had no trouble with it just had to make sure I paid extra close attention on the increase rows. I used just one color, Red Heart Super Saver in Aran Fleck, it looks very similar to the top color in yours! I made it to match a modified granny infinity scarf I made for my mom 2 Christmases ago. Thanks for your efforts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi! When in row 17, how many do you chain before starting the sc? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi! When in row 17, how many do you chain before starting the sc? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I made this and it is fabulous. Many compliments !!

    ReplyDelete

  36. I am guessing that we join at the end of rows 7-13 as we did in the first 6 rows, though it doesn’t so to.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good morning..my friend wants a pony tail hat like the v stitch winter beanie..any ideas on how to make this...thank you..God bless

    ReplyDelete
  38. Good morning..my friend wants a pony tail hat like the v stitch winter beanie..any ideas on how to make this...thank you..God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A blog called Simply Collectable has a bun hat the looks like this same pattern.

      Delete
    2. thank you..GOD BLESS

      Delete
  39. Love the pattern the only questions i have is on row 17 how many sc's are in total on that row and is in each dc of the v stitch or in the middle of the v- stitch?

    Thanks Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  40. Horrible at reading patterns but I'm going to try this I absolutely love it

    ReplyDelete
  41. How much yarn was required? I have searched and cannot find how much of each yarn is needed to crochet this hat.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Laura, I am having trouble with row 3. I always end up with 16 V-stitches. Can you help? Thank you, Sharon (Gigi)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Here's how I read the pattern
    ch 3, dc in same space (1st V), next V-stitch in center of V-Stitch prev row, V-stitch in the space before the next V from previous row. *(then pattern starts). I seems the pattern is 2 V-stitches in V's from previous row then V-stitch in space.
    That gives you 3 V-stitches then a space but the beginning of row 3 it says 4 V-stitches, which then makes me end up with 16 V-stitches.

    Can you help me understand? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. That's right, 2 v's in the V and 1 v in the space. The pattern is in multiples of three, giving you a count of 15 at the end. I'm not seeing where you see it saying 4 V-stitches at the beginning of row three. Are you counting the chain and the first dc as the first V? [ch 3, dc in same space (1st V), next V-stitch in center of V-Stitch prev row, V-stitch in the space before the next V from previous row.]--->These are the first three Vs then you continue the pattern of 2 v's in V, 1 v in space. Sorry, it's hard to help when I can't actually see what you're doing. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you SO much for sharing this pattern. I call myself an "Advanced Beginner" at crochet. I am smiling ear to ear (with my hat on). I made something for myself!!! All because you shared. Thanks a million for being so thoughtful and clear with your instructions. When the husband comes home tonight, I'm suggesting a walk in the cold night air tonight! I feel all bathed in grace & goodness just because I found your blog. I appreciate your teaching skills & your sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Love this pattern! Thank you for sharing it. Love to share pics but didn't see a place to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Need help making the magic ring. No information is given.

    ReplyDelete
  48. you're awesome....i've looked for the same pattern numerous times!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love this hat! I’ve tried to make it twice now and each time it would probably fit a doll. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but my last row is 30V’s. I’ve tried crocheting looser and it still seems so tiny. Thinking of increasing by another row before continuing on at the same number of V’s. Just wondering if anyone else found themselves making the same error as me and resolved it? Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  50. Yes! Just today I saw this hat on pinterest and it took me to the site where I could purchase one. Surely I can find a similar hat pattern online, I thought. And so I started searching and found your wonderful pattern. Just what I wanted, thank you oh so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...