Saturday, May 18, 2019

Military Appreciation Month- Crochet and Knit Donations

This year I decided to dedicate my time and my yarn stash to supporting the troops!

Crochet and Knit Donations, Over The Apple Tree

I've been working hard these past few months and I plan to send my handmade hats and scarves to service members. Being a military veteran myself, I know it's important for those in service to feel appreciated and connected to home when away from family. Also, who doesn't love getting mail?!


Operation Gratitude is an amazing organization that sends care packages to deployed troops, veterans, first responders, recruit graduates, wounded warriors, their caregivers, and military families. Every box has useful items donated from individuals and service-friendly companies. To date, they have sent out over 2 million care packages!!

If this sounds like your jam, there are so many ways to help! Click HERE to see how you can donate items, your time, or organize a collection drive. You can also request a package for a service member you love.

I really hope this post inspires my fellow makers to donate some of your time and skills this year for our military and first responders!

You're probably here because you knit or crochet and may be interested in the patterns I use. I'm mostly doing hats because they're my fav and maybe I'll throw in a few scarves to mix things up a little. There are some pattern suggestions on the Operation Gratitude website but you can use any you like. I know men outnumber women in the military, but I can't bring myself to make only big man head sized hats. I want anyone who receives one of my hats to be able to actually wear it so I tried to find hats that are more one-size-fits-all designs. There are some I like more than others. Check my Ravelry project page for notes. Here are some patterns I've used that are pictured...

**UPDATE I just shipped my first 20 hats! It's really easy...go to the Handmade With Love section of the website. Scroll down to the bottom and complete the donation form. You'll get an email with a packing slip and mailing instructions. Then, just box up your items and mail them! After your donation is recieved, you'll get an email and a thank you letter in the mail so you know your donation got where it needed to be. Easy peasy!

Crochet

Knit
Ribbed Beanie(used regular worsted weight, CO 80 to 5mm straight needles)

Crochet and Knit Donations, Over The Apple Tree

Crochet and Knit Donations, Over The Apple TreeCrochet and Knit Donations, Over The Apple Tree

Crochet and Knit Donations, Over The Apple TreeCrochet and Knit Donations, Over The Apple Tree

Crochet and Knit Donations, Over The Apple Tree


Double Brim Knit Beanie
I like to live on the edge, so I tend to make stuff up as I go and I don't always follow instructions. I looked at a few patterns for double brimmed beanies and then I just did whatever I wanted!

With circular needles, I cast on 82 and knit about 30 rows. After that, I folded up the bottom and picked up those stitches and knit them together. I knit 28 more rows and then did some decreases until it was too uncomfortable with my circular needles(I don't have any double pointed needles yet) I cut a long tail, stitched through the loops on my needles and cinched it together. Voila!

Crochet and Knit Donations, Over The Apple Tree


I will be sharing with these great blogs!



Follow me here:

4 comments:

  1. That is awesome! You do beautiful work, and I know your hats and scarves will be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished making several hats, and having some new patterns will be awesome! My stitchers group just completed scarves for the Red Scarf project. I will pass along your patterns to them as we have chosen to make Operation Gratitude a year-long project. Thank you for your service:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI the link to the Crochet Seafarer's hat is broken, please try to fix it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...