Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Freeze Cookie Dough

I've always known you could freeze cookie dough, but never have. Really, why would you want to do that? I want to eat cookies now! Ok, I finally found a reason. With all the holiday craziness, I find myself constantly running out of time. One day I had a lull in activities and thought maybe I could whip up some cookie dough and save it for later.

Freeze Cookie Dough by Over The Apple Tree
I prepared my cookie dough (see the Better Homes and Gardens Chocolate Chip recipe I prefer here) and then scooped out half onto my lightly floured table. I formed it into a long tube. It doesn't have to be perfect but try to get it into a uniform thickness. Use a knife or pastry cutter and cut into evenly spaced sections. I used the back side of the knife so I didn't hurt my table. Now form into a ball, place onto a cookie sheet and give it a little smush down. After all the balls are on the cookie sheet place in the freezer. When they are frozen, move them to a Ziploc bag.

Rolling out and separating the dough in this way helps with uniformity and portion control. Have you ever made a cookie recipe that yields 5 dozen cookies, only to end up with half that? Portioning this way ensures you have the exact amount you want. I learned this trick when I was in the Air Force and we prepared food in huge quantities and had to control portions...yes I baked cookies in the military!

When I'm ready to bake these I put them directly on a cookie sheet, into a preheated oven and bake while still frozen. This is a great idea if you just want to bake a few at a time(some people are weird like that!) or you can even give the prepared cookie dough as a gift for your friends to bake later themselves.

Freezing cookie dough by Over The Apple Tree


I will be sharing with these great blogs!

Follow me here:

2 comments:

  1. Do you have to add time to bake them from frozen? I've had issues baking frozen cookies. Thanks for sharing on the weekend re-Treat link party! Hope to see you again Thursday at 7PM.

    Britni @ Play. Party. Pin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I did end up baking around a minute longer. You just have to keep an eye on the first batch to get the correct bake time for the rest. I flatten the dough after I roll it because I think it helps to make sure they bake evenly. Thanks for stopping by Britni!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...