Friday, August 15, 2014

Bandanna Pants

 Turn two bandannas into cute pants for sleep or play!

Bandanna Pants by Over The Apple Tree

First of all, let me explain how I got to this idea. Like most craft enthusiasts, I'm on Pinterest...a lot. I came across these cute little dresses/shirts made from two bandannas. Such a simple, brilliant idea! You take two bandannas sew up the sides leaving space at the top for the arms and then sew down the tops making a pocket for ribbon which you tie at the shoulders to keep it on. Of course I ran right out and got bandannas and ribbon. I made the shirt(my daughter is a too old for this to fit as a dress), put it on and...drum-roll... she hated it. What? Why? It looks so cute in the pictures! To be fair it did look a little uncomfortable. The fabric, even after being washed was a little stiff and poofed out. Also the ribbons tied at her shoulders were all over the place and touching her face. Now what? I ripped out the seams and started over. 

While I was seeing the shirt dress idea on Pinterest, I also saw this idea for pants. Well ok, lets see how this works! 
  • take two bandannas and fold them in half, folds on the outside, seam on the inside.
  • using some pj pants you already have as a guideline, turn them inside out and push one of the legs inside the other. Line up the inside seam of the pj's and the bandanna to know where to cut out for the crotch of the bandanna pants.
  • after your bandannas are cut, sew up the inside seams of each then put the two sides together at the crotch, pin and sew.
  • fold down top to make a place to insert elastic or drawstring.
Bandanna Pants by Over The Apple Tree

Bandanna Pants by Over The Apple Tree

Because bandannas are the size they are, these pants just fit my five year old. This project is much better for a child a little smaller so they can grow into them. 

Be sure to also check out my bandanna skirt

Bandanna Pants by Over The Apple TreeBandanna Pants by Over The Apple Tree

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
Project Gallery

I will be sharing with these great blogs!



Follow me here:

25 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, wow the pants came out so nice and look cute on your daughter! I love pinterest too and they have such great ideas to try out. Have a nice weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! I have a 4-year old who would look adorable in some of these. Thanks for the brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are just too cute! Love how they turned out. Am going to have to try these for my toddler. Thanks for linking them up at the DIY Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely. Now I'm wishing huge bandanas were made so that we can make adult-sized ones!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! I may just have to sew several together and make them for myself...

      Delete
  5. I have a similar pinterest experience, not everything I see on there and make is super cute. I saw that easy dress idea but tried it with some cotton fabric I had and made it for myself - not good at all - It was like wearing a sticking out parachute! You have done so much better than me, at least you have now made something beautiful! I love these bandanna trousers. Maybe I could make myself trousers from my dress fail!
    I'm not giving up on that pillowcase style dress idea though, I think a softer fabric is the key - I will not be defeated!
    Thanks for sharing your lows as well as your highs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! I did a tshirt makeover in my Upcyle Hand-Me-Downs post in a similar way, and that worked out great. I think you're right, softer fabric is the key because the jersey worked out much better. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Love these bandanna pants! I want a pair or three for myself :)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are just adorable. I wish they had bandanas big enough for me :)

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are too stinkin cute!! My niece would look adorable in these! Thanks for sharing on DIY Sunday Showcase, I pined this to our talent board!

    Shelly@minettesmaze

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute idea... and so modest also..... Thank you for sharing this... I hadn't seen it before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so adorable! :)

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those turned out really cute! Thanks for linking them up at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These pants are really gorgeous! They look great. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! Sometimes I wish my girls were still little so they could wear cute things like this again. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a cute idea! We were given some free bandannas and now I know what I'm going to do with them! thanks for sharing at the Create Link Inspire party. You've been featured today and I've spread the word around ;o)Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Sunday! Hope you're having a FABULOUS weekend--just wanted to swing by and give you a huge "Thank you!" for linking up at Bewitchin Projects last week--and we've already got the party started again today, so be sure to come link up again here: http://www.ourminifamily.com/2014/08/bewitchin-projects-block-party-week-5.html

    XO
    ~Cathy Mini~
    OurMiniFamily.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These bandanna pants are so cute! Children can be so particular about their clothes. Did your daughter like the pants? Thanks for sharing with Creative Spark Link Party. Hope you join us again tomorrow.
    Glenna @ My Paper Craze

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! This post is featured over at Diana Rambles today and has been pinned in the Featured at Diana Rambles board at Pinterest, Tweeted, and Recommended on G+. Please grab a featured button off my sidebar or via the link under the features. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my goodness! These are just plain adorable! I wish I had a little one to make them for...or I wish bandanas came much larger! I'd love for you to share these at my Creative Ways Link Party when you get a chance!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Nici! I'll add you to my link party list.

      Delete
  19. Too cute! Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links last Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...