Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pasta Fagioli

Here's another great cold weather recipe. This one comes from my mom. She was telling me about this and how great it was forever. The way she described it didn't have me running to the store to buy the ingredients, but one day I decided to give it a try...it's now one of my favorites. Topped with Parmesan cheese, it's part pasta dish, part soup and just great comfort food. It's even better the next day!

Pasta Fagioli Recipe by Over The Apple Tree

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/2 lb hot sausage
  • 1 diced onion
  • 1 c. chopped celery
  • 1 c. diced carrots
  • 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes or two 16 oz(I prefer fire roasted)
  • 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 can dark kidney beans(not drained)
  • 1 can navy beans(not drained)
  • 2 c. water
  • 5 beef bullion cubes
  • 1 tbsp parsley
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1-2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 1/2 cups small dry pasta
  • 1 c. frozen green beans or peas
Directions
Wow, this is a big list but don't worry, it's easy! In a large pot combine gr. beef, sausage, onion, celery, and carrots. Brown meat and drain fat. While the meat is browning, cook your pasta in a separate pot, remove and drain just before it's totally cooked(al dente). After you drain the fat from meat, pour into the pot all the canned items, water, bullion and spices. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer 20 minutes. A few minutes before serving, I add in the cooked pasta and frozen veggies. The longer it sits the more liquid the pasta is going to absorb. This dish is thick and hearty, it is not meant to be very watery like regular soup. Serve with Parmesan cheese and crusty Italian bread.

Pasta Fagioli recipe by Over The Apple Tree



I will be sharing with these great blogs!


Follow me here:

24 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Pinning now to my Dinner Ideas board! Would love to have you share this at my Saturday Night Fever recipe link party: http://www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/2013/11/saturday-night-fever-8-recipe-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Jen! I will be there Saturday night, I link there often!

      Delete
    2. WOO HOO!!! Thanks so much!! I just re-pinned to our Saturday Night Fever group board! Thanks again for sharing this!

      Delete
  2. Looks wonderful!!!! A bowl full of comfort and deliciousness!!! I love Pasta Fagioli!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Maria, love your blog!

      Delete
  3. mmmm I love Pasta Fagioli. I will have to try your recipe, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks incredible. I have never had pasta fagioli before, but I need to try it stat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for linking up at The Wednesday Roundup and I hope everything is going well for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious, I love a good combination of pasta and tomatoes. Hearty enough to be a meal on its own. I will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy and filling! I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my family LOVES this dish! My father in law taught me how to make this dish many years ago and he was from Italy! I will have to make this for hubby! TFS at crafty allie! Julie at julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello this looks delicious . I'm one of your newest followers on FB, Pinterest & Bloglovin.
    I can't wait to try this recipe . I pinned it to my Food/Recipe Boards.

    Kim
    http://www.thisolemom.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely pinned this recipe, I will be making it for tomorrow nights dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this recipe! Will make it right after thanksgiving with some of the leftover turkey as a little variation! Thanks for sharing. Pinned of course! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great! Thank you for linking up to Twirl & Take a Bow!
    Pinning!

    ~ Brooke ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to everyone for your lovely comments! I hope you enjoy this recipes as much as my family does :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! i just love a good pasta dish in the winter. def. adding to my dec. menu! http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this sounds so yummy! I love the fagioli soup at Olive Garden and this reminds me of that one. Thanks for sharing on the weekend re-Treat link party!

    Britni @ Play. Party. Pin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love this dish! I think that I will be making this after Thanksgiving with turkey instead of the hot sausage though, don't need to flair up the old ulcer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love Pasta Fagioli. I will have to make this for my family!! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this; it was awesome. REALLY good. I made it for some friends when they came over for a movie night and served with a greek-style bruchetta. It was sooooo good, and was great as a leftover for a quick school lunch. I didn't make any changes to this that would alter taste much- it's a great recipe. I added a bay leaf and two cloves while it cooked and used venison and turkey sausage (couldn't even tell!)- reminded me of ma's spaghetti recipe =) Heavenly. Healthy. Man I love a great soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So often I see recipes that look good and never get around to making them so I'm so glad you got to try this! This really is one of my favs, I usually end up stuffing myself! Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know how it turned out.

      Delete
  19. Thanks so much for linking this up on Tasty Tuesday! This recipe has been featured and pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't even count the number of times I've made this recipe. It's SO easy & oh SO delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...