Saturday, August 2, 2014

UPDATE: Painted Shoes For Spring

Back in March I shared how I painted my shoes. At least half my projects are experiments to see if an idea will work or see I can actually pull off something I've never tried before. I wasn't sure how the paint would hold up on these shoes after they were worn and I promised to give an update to let everyone know how it went. It occurred to me last week that I never did the update so here it is...

Painted shoes: UPDATE, Over The Apple Tree

First of all let me recap what's happening here(original post): I needed shoes to match a dress and found these great ones on clearance(stupid cheap) but they weren't the right color. I decided it was worth it to spend a couple dollars and a little time and take a chance to see if I could make these work.
  • textured fabric cover shoes
  • painted with acrylic craft paint and fabric medium
  • sealed with glossy acrylic spray paint
I wore these shoes to an outdoor wedding where I was walking through grass. I'm happy to report there are no cracks in the paint and even though it was damp day, none of the paint rubbed or peeled off. BUT, where the heels sunk into the grass and scraped against some rocks, the paint did get a little damaged. If I didn't go trudging through a yard and only stayed on the sidewalk or indoors, these would have been 100% fine.

Painted shoes: UPDATE, Over The Apple Tree

Overall I'm very happy with my shoe project. I needed these shoes to wear with one dress which may very well never be worn again. It's always a good day when I can save some money and work with what I've got. I, like most people, don't feel good dropping a ton of cash on something I may never use again so keep this idea in mind. You might even be able to use paint to update some old shoes instead of throwing them away!


I will be sharing with these great blogs!

Follow me here:

12 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, wow the shoes you redid do look great considering where you have been with them! Have a wonderful Sunday and week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pure genius! Found you on the Frugal Crafty Blog Hop Link up (I'm # 141 & 143). Going over to the original post now to see how you did it, then pinning it for sure. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to do something like this and now I know how. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much form stopping by, good luck with your shoes!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad I found this! I've seen people painting their shoes, but never how they held up. I *really* want to try it with some black shoes I never wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise, I hope it works out for you!

      Delete
  4. You picked a perfect pink that goes really well with the shape and also the gold accessories! Lovely little update to these shoes!

    Thanks for linking up to our Betwitchin Party! Be sure to come back every Sunday starting at 6am EST over at OurMiniFamily.com to link up your projects again! 



    ~Cathy Mini~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know that they're holding up well! It gives me confidence to try this out on some of my outdated shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever idea! I just have a pair of shoes a bit ruined, but they are so comfortable that I don't want to throw them away: I could try this method!
    About the damage on the back of the heels, I always ruin all my shoes in the same way because I rub them on the steps when I go down the stairs, so I would have the same problem even with non-painted shoes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this great idea. I don't like to buy something that I will only use once. The pink color is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been painting my white "tennis/gym shoes" for years, since polish does not do an adequate job. I wash them first in the washing machine, let try and apply white craft paint using a sponge brush. They look almost brand new when I'm done. I've also used craft paints to change/revamp alot of shoes in my closet. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic idea! I am going to try this one day! Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links last Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting! See you next Friday!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...