meta content='blog about crafting, diy, recipes' name='description'/> Over The Apple Tree: Painted Shoes For Spring

Friday, March 21, 2014

Painted Shoes For Spring

Ever find the perfect shoes but they weren't the perfect color? 
Here's my situation...I found this vintagey style, multi-color dress that I love and needed some shoes to go with it. I had an idea in my head of what I was looking for but, I'm on a tight budget so my options were limited. Well lucky day, I found these beauties on clearance at Walmart for...drum roll...$3! Even though I knew these were not going to be quite the right color, they were exactly the style I wanted and there was no way I could pass them up for that price. I'm so not a pink girl, my wardrobe consists of black white and grey. I cant even believe I'm going to wear pink shoes and a flowery dress! Bonus: The fashion expert on The Today Show this morning says pastels, especially pink, are IT this spring!

Paint Shoes for Spring by Over The Apple Tree

Now, when I was in high school, some of the girls tried spray painting their shoes to match their prom dresses and it didn't work out too well, cracks everywhere! These shoes are covered in fabric, textured to look like...snake skin? I wasn't sure how the shiny parts of the fabric were going to take the acrylic paint I decided on, so I tested a small section. After the paint was dry, it ended up rubbing right off with my finger.
Paint Shoes For Spring by Over The Apple TreeI used some fine grit sandpaper to rub off the shiny stuff. This decision was good and bad. Yes the fabric took the paint just fine after that but the sandpaper pulled up the thread in all the stitching on the top of the shoe, which wasn't really noticeable until I got the paint on it. At this point I started to think spray paint would have been a better idea and would probably have worked out fine if I used primer first...too late now!

How I Did It
First, tape off the bottom with some masking tape. I took acrylic craft paint and mixed it 2:1 with some fabric medium. For the first coat of paint I did a white base layer. After that I followed with two coats of the pink, also mixed with the fabric medium and allowed each coat to dry in between. After that I just went back and touched up areas I missed. I pulled off my tape and cleaned up any paint that got past the tape and lightly sprayed a layer of glossy clear acrylic sealer.

Fabulous or Fail?
Even though I took a lot of time making sure the tape was just right, the edges where the paint met the sole was a little rough when I pulled the tape off. The raised up stitching and the less than perfect edges aren't that attractive up close but its not that bad. Looking at them while worn, almost perfect! Who's really going to notice my feet anyway? My main fear with painting these shoes has been the paint cracking but I've been wearing these around the house and it's all good so far.

People kill me when I they say "Oh I could never do that because I'm not crafty" Yes, I like doing crafty projects and most of the time it works out for me. But here's the thing, at least half the time I don't have a clue what I'm doing! When trying stuff for the first time, you never know what's going to happen. The difference between me and the people who think they aren't "crafty" is that I'm not afraid to try. It's debatable whether these shoes were a success, but it's ok. I'm going to rock 'em anyway and be proud that I gave it my best shot.

**UPDATE!!! You can see how my shoes held up after the wedding, click HERE


Check my Gallery for more projects I've been working on.

I will be sharing with these great blogs!


Follow me here:
Follow Over The Apple Tree's board Repurpose/Upcycle on Pinterest.

32 comments:

  1. Visiting from That DIY party. I had to look at you link because we used to do this when I was in school (over 50 years ago!). They had actual paint made for shoes but the colors were limited. The pink looks pretty -- enjoy your "new" shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I have never thought about painting the cheap shoes to make them what you want. Great idea. I host a monday beauty link up, I would LOVE it if you would link this up. My readers would love it!!
    -Kat
    www.confessionsoftheperfectmom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kat and for the invite. I'll check it out!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! These look super expensive, but so easy!

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess, fingers crossed they stay looking pretty! I hate heels, so I'll probably kick 'em off first chance I get anyway:-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura, you really made the shoes look so pretty and perfect for Spring! You are so creative and you did a great job with the shoes! Thanks so much for telling me about the makeup party! Have a nice week friend!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrific idea! this would really enhance anyone's wardrobe.... Makes you think twice about donating your old shoes and buying new... I think this is a great idea. The fabric medium totally makes sense.... Let me know how they hold up, OK? :)
    Have a terrific Tuesday!! “hugs” Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will definitely be doing update after I wear them out for real! I'm even thinking of grabbing a pair of Goodwill shoes and testing out the spray paint method as well. Thanks for visiting me Crystelle!

      Delete
  6. I can't believe how great the shoes came out. I was a little skeptical at first. Great idea that turned out wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing your idea with us over at The MaMade Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm still skeptical! Still not sure how the paint is going to hold up! Thanks for stopping by Debbie.

      Delete
  7. What you wrote under the "Fabulous or Fail" heading is me to a "T" with most all of my projects!! :) People think I'm just being humble when I tell them I really NOT that talented... you're right. We're just not afraid to try!! These are CUTE, thanks for sharing at Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Kammy, love your party!

      Delete
  8. My little girl read a book and the girls in it all painted and decorated their shoes. She painted her sandals purple. She wasn't scared to try either. It's a good quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! My daughter was dying to help me, "Oooh, pink shoes..." I'm sure if she has the chance to get a hold of the paint, she'll go for it too!

      Delete
  9. They look fantastic! Thanks for linking up at The Wednesday Roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laura, your shoes look great! What a great idea, I might not be throwing away some of my old shoes now. And if someone gets close enough to your feet to noticed the loose thread, I'd worry more about them then my shoes ;) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would never have tried this, but you made it sound really easy...so I just might give it a try. Pink is very in this spring. Thanks for sharing on the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. If you do try let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  12. What a great idea! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I do have another fun project this week, see you Sunday!

      Delete
  13. Perfect way to give shoes a face lift and a second life. Very budget friendly, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I defiantly love budget friendly;-) Thanks for visiting me Audra!

      Delete
  14. What an awesome idea! I am always having this problem at the shoe store! So trying this the next time! I'm so glad you shared this with us on Twirl and Take a Bow! ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your attitude. I am the same way. I just hit and miss. What is important is whether I like them or not. Isn't that why I am doing the project anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea!! Much easier than covering them with fabric (I tried that years ago and it took a long time with fair results!!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Was just wondering how your shoes wore? Did the painting hold up well? I have heard great things about angelus paint for shoes yours looks beautiful I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie! It just occurred to me the other day that I never did an update for this post, I'm on it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...