Thursday, January 16, 2014

DIY Kid's Shoe Repair

Here's how I fixed some broken, torn boots!

Even if your shoes aren't broken you can always glitterize them for fun!

Repair and glitterize your shoes by Over The Apple Tree

Does this situation look familiar to anyone? These boots happened to be cheap and made from fabric, they weren't going to last forever. You know what though? When you have active kids, even the expensive, quality stuff is no match for them! When this pair that still fit her started falling apart, I thought I'd at least try and see if I could make them last a little longer. Glue, fabric scraps, and dimensional fabric paint to the rescue! Glitter paint fixes everything right? 



You can see these are pretty badly damaged. I figured there was no way around covering the holes so I used some all-purpose glue(that's all I had left but I would recommend something waterproof if you have it) and small scraps of fabric. I used a lot of glue to make sure the fabric was completely soaked through and allowed to dry over night. This obviously covers the holes but it also provides a good surface for the dimensional fabric glue to stick to.

If you catch these holes before they get huge skip the fabric patch and squirt the fabric paint right over it. I've done this plenty of times on other fabric shoes. It works great!


After the glue was completely dry, I used a pencil to mark where I want the paint to be. The dimensional fabric paint(Tulip brand) is perfect because it comes in a squeeze bottle that allows you to place it accurately where you want it. I did the edges first and then filled in the center. I used my finger to spread it around evenly. I did two layers of this paint and since the gold was a little too gold for my liking, on the second layer I sprinkled a little silver glitter on and mixed in.

Repair shoes with dimensional fabric paint by Over The Apple Tree

I'm not sure how long this is going to last, but I'm defiantly glad I don't have to throw these away quite yet!

DIY kid's shoe repair by Over The Apple Tree


Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
Project Gallery

I will be sharing with these great blogs!



Follow me here:

38 comments:

  1. Hi,
    It's a pleasure to meet you and to discover your blog through Fantastic Friday!
    I am so delighted to be a co-host this week! What a fun and lively linkup this is.
    I am following, sharing and glad to get to know your blog better!
    All the best, Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to stop by Deborah, happy to have you here!

      Delete
  2. You have no idea how much I wish I had girls so that I could fix their shoes like this. My boys wear through the toes of their shoes like crazy, but I don't think the glitter would go over well. These are absolutely adorable though! I would love for you to link them up to the weekly link party I cohost. http://addicted2diy.com/2014/01/16/thursday-s-t-y-l-e-link-party-3/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, thanks for the invite! I'll check it out and add you to my link party list.

      Delete
  3. Hi Laura -- All I can say is: genius!! My daughter destroys the toes of her shoes before we are out of the store. Well, not really but it sure seems like it! I love the glittery "bling". Great for girls this age. So happy to find your blog from Link Party Palooza @ Tater Tots & Jello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammi! So glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  4. What an awesome and adorable idea! So smart! I would have loved to have a pair of shoes like that as a little girl! Thanks so much for linking up at Thursday STYLE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for hosting, see you next time!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant!!!!! I am pinning this . Hopping over from the Frugal crafty hop.♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its amazing what some glue and glitter can do! Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Retreat, hope to see you back on Thursday night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, see you next link party!

      Delete
  7. I love this idea! I would totally use this on my own pair of shoes, but with metallic paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, metallic would be great too! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. What a great idea!!I love the glitter! I am doing a giveaway today and would love if you would stop by and check it out! http://www.thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennie! Come visit me again:-)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog Kammy!

      Delete
  10. cute idea! My daughter always scuffs her toes and rips her shoes up, drives me crazy! Might have to give this a go and see if I can save some of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey nothing to lose right? Good luck, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for joining us for this month's Share the Love blog hop at http://www.serenityyou.com/2014/01/share-love-january.html

    Sign up to receive an email reminder of when the next hop goes live at the above link

    Natasha @ Serenity You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for hosting the link party and stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  12. You've been featured today over at the Foodies & Crafties Soiree Link Party!! http://thetiptoefairy.com/blog/2014/01/foodies-crafties-soiree-blog-hop-link-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature! Glad you stopped by Stephanie:-)

      Delete
  13. I love this!! What a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! This post will be featured at Diana Rambles tomorrow. It has been pinned in the Featured at Diana Rambles board at Pinterest, Tweeted, and Recommended on G+. Please grab a featured button off my sidebar or via the link under the features. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea! I could have used this for my daughter's boots...but the zipper broke yesterday. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feature Diana! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  15. Simpler yet, just patch on some Sugru (http://goo.gl/SWgSjz) and paint over it with some glittery acrylic paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that out Jessica, thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing at the Twirl & Take a Bow Party! Hope to see you at the party this Tuesday. Have a great week!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  17. featuring these tonight at the Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday Party on Kammy's Korner! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature! I'll see you at the party!

      Delete
  18. Great idea. I have a couple casual pairs of shoes that I love- or did until the fabric was worn through. This is definitely one I'll pin.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is great! It really seems like my kids go through a new pair of shoes in a single week. I love the idea of being able to do minor repairs myself. Now if only I could find a way to make their feet stop growing...thanks for sharing!! http://www.shoecrafters.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a REALLY excellent idea! I think if you wanted to have an extra layer of protectant on there, you could add on matte medium / modge podge. It has a plastic like quality when dried, and with some slight give so would accommodate the flexibility of the shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just tried this on my daughter's boots tonight! Cannot wait until it dries! I love this idea! Pure genius!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea!!! I have to try this! Thank you so much for sharing! Happy New Year!!!! Hugs, Shelly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...