Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Go To The Library!

When's the last time you visited a public library?



I've taken a page from my friend Tara @ Queen St. Artisan and gotten a little nostalgic today. It's time to go back to school and my oldest is starting middle school. I got to thinking about how much school is going to start changing for him and it reminded me of when I was that age. With the internet, there might not even be need for him to ever visit the library to do a book report or research a paper. He may never be huddled with classmates quietly laughing and trying to sneak a snack. Lucky for him, he definitely won't have to deal with that stupid card catalog! He'll never know the frustration of waiting for someone else to finish with the encyclopedia that he needs or hauling all those heavy books back and forth from shelves to tables. Remember the days before auto correct and you had to use the dictionary to try and figure out how to spell a word? You know what else, he'll never understand any of this because he's never known anything different. 

This little jaunt down memory lane is just a segue for me to talk about how much I love the library and why you should too. The library is one of my very favorite places! I go there with my kids at least once a week, sometimes more. I love to read. I can't stop reading. If I have a free couple minutes whether it's waiting for my kids to get out of school or in the waiting room at the doctors office, I read. The best time though is at night when everyone is sleeping, that's my time.

 I was always one of those people that just liked books. I mean I like to own them and collect them on the shelf, hold them in my hand and actually flip the pages. I was totally anti-eReader. My husband kept trying to buy me one and I just wasn't interested. Why would I get one of those things when I can just go to the library and get a book? Well, my wonderful friend had no idea of my aversion to eReaders and gave me a Kindle for my birthday. I've had a change of heart. I freaking love this thing and...wait for it...I can check out books from the library on it! Even if I don't have my Kindle with me, I have the app on my phone and can access my books and it even syncs to where I left off. No, I am not being paid by Amazon but would not turn down an offer(just in case they're reading this).

If you haven't visited a public library since you were learning the Dewey Decimal System, they have definitely changed with the times. In addition to books, my library has all the new release movies and through their website you can find eBooks, audio books, music, eLearning tools(Ancestry, languages, homework help) and much more. Check out your local public library, you may be surprised what you find. Oh, and...
"No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance."     - Confucius



Follow me here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...