Sunday, July 7, 2013

Chalkboard Quote Board - Thrift store redo

Here's a quick and easy, as well as cheap, project for your home. I love Pinterest and have a board titled "Honest Words" with quotes and sayings that ring true to me. I wanted a medium to share these quotes in my house without being permanent and the popular chalkboard paint was the first thing I thought of to make it happen.

I visited my favorite local thrift store for homegoods- Habitat for Humanity Restore and found this old beat up framed painting for $2. Whatever you pick, make sure it's pretty stiff material or has a hard backing so that writing is easier.


I have another one in my kitchen that I made from craft board I found next to the canvases at Micheal's Crafts. It looks great but can be tricky to write on with chalk.


Next, I got out my leftover chalk paint. This paint is amazing! It is not your typical chalkboard paint you buy in the spray can. It works on furniture of all kinds and requires no prep work. It gives an authentic antique look to furniture when used in conjunction with the wax that is sold with it. But for this purpose all that is needed is chalkboard paint of any sort. If black is what you want then get yourself a can of chalkboard spraypaint or even Martha's version!


chalkpaint quote board

 There's that Trader Joe's Vanana Yogurt container again!

It took one coat of the chalk paint on the canvas surface and a couple hours of drying time and it was time to add my quote! The great thing is you can change it at any time to fit your mood.


thrift store frame to chalkboard quoteboard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...